Visual Studio 2012 / TFS 2012 Virtual Machine and Hands-on-Labs have been updated! If you attend any of Microsoft Partners Webcast/Demos you may notice the environment used is pre-loaded with Contoso data that’s included on the VM below. A helpful note is to read the “Working with” document included to find out about any specific changes needed and updates.
Updated: Visual Studio 2012 RC ALM Virtual Machine and Hands-on-Labs / Demo Scripts
The Visual Studio 2012 RC ALM Virtual Machine is now available!
This new VM replaces the previously available Visual Studio 11 Beta ALM virtual machine to use the latest Visual Studio 2012 RC releases.
This is hands-down the most comprehensive ALM virtual machine yet. It includes 18 hands-on-labs / demo scripts. 6 of these were upgraded from the Visual Studio 11 ALM virtual machine, 11 of these were upgraded from the older Visual Studio 2010 ALM virtual machine, and one is brand new, highlighting the PreEmptive Analytics integration in Team Foundation Server 2012. Phew!
Go here to start your downloads!
June 6, 2012 Update: This post and the accompanying downloads have been updated based on the Visual Studio 2012 RC which was released last week.
I’m very pleased to announce the availability of the Visual Studio 2012 RC ALM Virtual Machine along with 18 hands-on-labs / demo scripts. This includes 7 ALM scenarios which are new in Visual Studio 2012, and another 11 scenarios which were introduced in Visual Studio 2010, giving you a single virtual environment for learning about or demonstrating a wide range of ALM capabilities.
You can download and install the RC of Visual Studio 2012 (and Team Foundation Server 2012, .NET Framework 4.5, etc.) and even use it in production with our “go live” license. But if you would like a fast way to understand what is new for application lifecycle management in this release, this virtual machine is pre-configured with all of the necessary software and sample data for you.
Before I get into what’s included, there are a few quick limitations to disclose:
- This is a Hyper-V virtual machine and works with Windows Server 2008 x64 (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is recommended). If you try to load this with Virtual PC it will blue screen since Virtual PC does not support 64-bit operating systems. This virtual machine has also been tested to work with the Windows 8 Release Preview and the Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate, but the instructions provided assume you are using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Some modification may be needed to use other platforms.
- Windows is configured to set the system clock to May 16, 2012 every time you start this virtual machine. This is to support the project management hands-on-lab. If you want to work with this virtual machine beyond the specific hands-on-labs scenarios, you may need to disable the Set Date and Time task (Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Set Date and Time -> Right-Click -> Disable).
- Please take a few minutes to read the attached “Working with…” document for some important instructions on properly importing and working with this virtual machine.
With the limitations out of the way, onto the fun stuff…
This virtual machine is configured with:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 RC
- Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012 RC
- Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Microsoft Project 2010
- Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Sample users and data required to support hands-on-lab scripts which accompany this download and exercise 18 ALM scenarios, including 7 new capabilities from Visual Studio 2012 and 11 capabilities which were introduced in the Visual Studio 2010 release.
Downloading the virtual machine and labs:
I suggest using a download manager for these files since they are very large. My download manager of choice is Free Download Manager. You can use your own favorite download manager, but you may need to adapt the instructions below as appropriate.
1. Download and install Free Download Manager. This utility provides:
– Auto-resume support for interrupted downloads.
– Multiple simultaneous download streams for (usually) a much faster download experience.
– As the name implies, it’s completely free.
2. Select the URL’s below and copy (CTRL+C) them to your clipboard.
###Start – Do Not Include This Line###
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Working with the Visual Studio 2012 RC ALM Virtual Machine.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Agile Project Management in Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Authoring and Running Manual Tests using Microsoft Test Manager 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Branching and Merging Visualization with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Building the Right Software – Generating Storyboards and Collecting Stakeholder Feedback with Visual Studio 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Code Discovery using the Architecture Tools in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Debugging with IntelliTrace using Visual Studio Ultimate 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Diagnosing Issues in Production with IntelliTrace and Visual Studio 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Exploratory Testing and Other Enhancements in Microsoft Test Manager 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Introduction to Coded UI Tests with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Introduction to Platform Testing with Microsoft Test Manager 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Introduction to PreEmptive Analytics.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Introduction to Test Case Management with Microsoft Test Manager 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Introduction to Test Planning with Microsoft Test Manager 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Making Developers More Productive with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Understanding Class Coupling with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Unit Testing and Code Clone Analysis with Visual Studio 2012.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Using Code Analysis with Visual Studio 2012 to Improve Code Quality.docx
http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/9/2/A9253B14-5F23-4BC8-9C7E-F5199DB5F831/Using the Architecture Explorer in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 to Analyze Your Code.docx
###End – Do Not Include This Row In Your Selection###
3. Launch the user interface for Free Download Manager (either from the Start Menu or via the system tray icon if FDM is already running).
4. Click File -> Import -> Import List of URLs from Clipboard.
5. When prompted for a download group, accept the default and click OK.
6. You are now free to minimize Free Download Manager while the files download. By default, they will be saved to c:\downloads.
7. Expand the files and self-extracting RAR set and see the “Working with…” document for more instructions.
I hope you will enjoy this content as a way of learning how Visual Studio can help you improve your team’s overall application lifecycle management capabilities. If you have suggestions for how to improve this virtual machine and set of demos / hands-on-labs please let me know.